My story is nothing new.
Like many women before me, after having my gorgeous little girl I realised I required a career change.
I live in the small but vibrant Granite Belt Wine Region where most businesses are family run SMEs – an endearing trait of the area. As a result, most are unable to afford a full-time marketing manager. After identifying a gap in the marketplace, combined with my passion for supporting the growth of the region, Create Communications was born.
The Official Side
Anissa Williams is the founder and Director of Create, with more than 25 years strategic marketing, media relations, tourism and event management experience in both the public and private sectors. She holds a Bachelor of Business with a double Major in Marketing and Tourism Management.
- Granite Belt Wine + Tourism Marketing Strategy and revised brand. Tactics focused on social media (FaceBook, Twitter, Pinterest, Blog), monthly e-newsletter, revised ‘front-end’ website, seasonal image library, visitor literature (print + electronic), media famil program, Brisbane City Cat advertising, off-peak campaigns, trade and consumer shows, and updated signage.
- Bunbury Tourism Strategic Marketing Plan + Annual Action Plan. Tactics included visitor guides, tour itineraries, print and TV advertising, trade and consumer shows, trade and media familiarisation tours, radio interviews and weekly event updates, trade information folders, website and online marketing, road tourism signage and billboards.
- Business and communication plans for the five service areas, comprising more than 140 staff located across WA, for the Department of Communities’ Children and Families Division. The first Parenting WA Strategic Framework successfully launched by the WA Minister for Community Services supported by a one-year communication plan. They were produced with Parenting WA staff, initially with a creative brainstorming session, followed by a strategic review of ideas regarding objectivities, budget and resources.
- Selected as one of four members to project manage the London 9/11 Tourism Action Group to combat the significant downturn in London’s tourist numbers after 9/11, the foot and mouth epidemic and the outbreak of mad cow disease.
Destination Campaigns + Brand Development
- Assisted/managed the development of corporate + destination brands for the City of Bunbury, Cape Naturaliste Tourism Association and the Shire of Busselton, London Development Agency, NT Department of Business and Employment (DBE), Invest NT, the Land Development Corporation, Granite Belt Wine + Tourism, and the NT Research and Innovation Awards. Branding permeated throughout each organisation from staff uniforms, office colours to email footers.
- Destination marketing to attract business tourism to the rejuvenated London Docklands, which included the first new park on the River Thames in 150 years, the ExCeL Convention Centre, tourist accommodation, and a new light rail transport system. Success led to the project used as a case study for other cities; I was invited to Milan, Italy to speak at a European conference on its local benefits.
- Assisted with the amalgamation of tourism associations in the south-west of WA to combat overlap and present a recognisable brand for the region.
- International campaign to attract skilled migrants to the NT from China, Philippines, UK, New Zealand and South Africa. It was run in conjunction with a local campaign to encourage businesses to employ skilled migrants and combat the NT’s skills shortage.
- Marketing campaign for Invest NT to attract interstate and international investors, including tourism investors, to the NT.
Consumer + Trade Events
- Bunbury + South West: Display booths for consumer/trade shows and road shows such as NATAS, ATE, and Perth Caravan and Camping Show
- Granite Belt Wine + Tourism: Representation at Good Food and Wine Brisbane, Regional Flavours, EKKA, Brisbane Caravan and Camping (with RTO), Brisbane Sommeliers, Cycle Queensland Event. With the Wine Committee development the inaugural Elevated Taste – Grazing the Granite Belt, and the Granite Belt Tasting Roadshow in Toowoomba.
- London Development Agency: Displays for mayoral presentations, project open days, land and property trade shows and consumer fairs in London including the London Boat Show and the launch of Royal Arsenal (attended by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II)
- NT Mining Services Expo: Assisted with the organisation and marketing, attracting clients from as far as China.
- Marketing campaign for Perth’s Awesome Arts Festival – an annual international arts festival for children aged 1-12 years.
- Marketing and events for more than 2000 LDA projects, ranging from English education programs for new migrants, London’s bid for the Olympics, to the establishment of prominent tourist attractions.
- NT Research and Innovation Awards: An annual gala dinner recognising the Territory’s best researchers and innovators, involving approximately 200-guests.
- Assisted in the organisation of the annual Bunbury Aqua Spectacular, a three-day event that attracted more than 20 000 visitors.
- Managed events attended by celebrities and royalty including Sir Steven Redgrave, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Monaco, Bernie Ecclestone, Michael Schumacher, Wayne Gretzky and John Malkovich.
PR + Media
- Raised Granite Belt’s PR profile – coverage received included Woman’s Day, Australian Traveller, Gourmet Traveller Wine, Country Style, B Mag, Brisbane News, ABC Landline and Radio, Channel 7 Morning Show and Weekender, Winestate, NZ Cuisine, Great South East, Outback, Holidays for Couples, Good Food and Wine Guide, Sunday Mail, NZ Let’s Travel, Channel 10, Sunday Mail, Courier Mail, Weekends for Two, RACQ Travel, and Lonely Planet. Targetted wine writers and bloggers including Ken Garett, The Wine Punter, Ryn and Cordie, UK’s Wine Detective Sarah Ahmed, QWine and James Halliday.
- Operated a PR program at Bunbury Tourism with weekly hosting of tourism trade/media representatives from Singapore, New Zealand, Thailand, Germany, Japan and Malaysia.
- Media support to five ministers and the Mayor of London.
- At Magenta supported PR creation for a range of clients including WA Opera, Awesome Arts Festival, John Curtin Gallery, Empire Rose, Vincorp Wines and Linney’s Pearls. Assisted in securing Melissa George as a Celebrity Endorser for Linney’s Pearls.
- Combated negative media concerning Indigenous housing and essential services in remote communities following the Australian Government’s Intervention; and the financial sustainability of the NT’s Local Government, and pastoralists and mining industries, after amalgamation.
- Handled sensitive national issues such as the initially failed redevelopment of Wembley Stadium and London’s bid for the Olympics.
- Assisted in the production of a quarterly newsletter for the Mayor of London, distributed to more than 1 million residents.
Small Business Support, Retail + Income Generation
- Improved destination performance at the Bunbury Tourism and the London Development Agency by providing marketing advice and planning for tourism operators.
- Small Business advice and marketing at the NT Department of Business
- Income generation at Granite Belt Wine + Tourism: Increasing VIC and online bookings (last minute deals, Book Now campaigns, packages), the development of GB Gift Hampers for corporate gifts, group and event packages, and increased promotion of VIC services and retail shop.
- An e-commerce website for Clairault Winery.
- Transformed Bunbury Tourism’s membership package creating a 74% increase in membership subscriptions and 37% increase in sponsorship.
- A port/marine themed gift shop and travel booking service at Bunbury Tourism resulting in a 581% increase in accommodation bookings, 55% increase in travel and tour bookings, and a 67% increase in merchandise sales.
- Myer City Perth Promotions Department plus sale floor experience.
Achievements include the Western Australian Tourism Award – Sir David Brand Youth Medal, three WA Tourism Awards – Tourism Associations, two Golden ‘I’ Awards, and a Top Tourism Town Award.